By Walter Updegrave, RealDealRetirement @RealDealRetire

>>MATCH POINT  Nearly a third of 401(k) participants contribute exactly enough to maximize the employer match, says Aon Hewitt. That may seem smart, but doing so could leave you short of the savings needed to assure a secure retirement. For example, if your plan requires a 6% contribution to get the employer’s maximum match of 3%, contributing just enough to get the full match results in total savings of 9% of salary, well short of the 15% the Boston College Center For Retirement Research recommends. It’s easy to come up with excuses not to save more. But the closer you can get to that 15% benchmark—or even exceed it—the better your chances of having a secure and comfortable retirement.

Suggested Articles: